lundi 13 juillet 2015

Salvage by Alexandra Duncan

Book blurb: 
" Ava is the captain's daughter. This allows her limited freedoms and a certain status in the Parastrata's rigid society-but it doesn't mean she can read or write or even withstand the forces of gravity. When Ava learns she is to be traded in marriage to another merchant ship, she hopes for the best. After all, she is the captain's daughter. Betrayal, banishment, and a brush with love and death are her destiny instead, and Ava stows away on a mail sloop bound for Earth in order to escape both her past and her future. The gravity almost kills her. Gradually recuperating in a stranger's floating cabin on the Gyre, a huge mass of scrap and garbage in the Pacific Ocean, Ava begins to learn the true meaning of family and home and trust-and she begins to nourish her own strength and soul. This sweeping and harrowing novel explores themes of choice, agency, rebellion, and family and, after a tidal wave destroys the Gyre and all those who live there, ultimately sends its main character on a thrilling journey to Mumbai, the beating heart of Alexandra Duncan's post-climate change Earth. "

My review:


Salvage is the first book by Alexandra Duncan. It is a Young Adult Science Fiction novel which I really enjoyed reading. At first i was a little confused by the author's writing but then after a while I got used to it and found it really original and interesting. The world building was pretty good and I liked getting to know these "crewes" even though the one she lived in was really unfair to women. I think the author wanted to give us a pro-female message. At least, there were some great characters I liked getting to know and the storyline was interesting. I wasn't bored so that is another good point. 

I do not want to give too much spoilers so I cannot really write what bothered me in this book because it is about what one of the main character do. It didn't stop me from liking this book but I don't like having the kind of feeling I had while reading a book. But, anyway, I also wanted to tell you about Rushil: he is such a sweet and funny character! I love him, and he has tattoos... which is just a bonus !


Overall, I liked reading this book but i still wish for an epilogue. I hope you guys enjoyed or will enjoy reading this book by Alexandra Duncan. 

You can find it here on Goodreads. 


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire